The Shaft Grounding Strap electrically connects a vessels drive shafts to the Vessel Bonding System and further reduces the incidence of galvanic corrosion on expensive metal drive parts.
- Spring tension for easy installation and use
- Unmatched surface area connection to shafts
- Tinned copper braiding strap and back up bonding connection
- 316 marine grade stainless pivot arm and mount
- 11 positioning holes to suit most drive shafts
- Spring loaded locking pins for easy adjustment
How It Works
A vessel bonding system connects each of the submerged metal parts allowing their individual electrochemical potential to be grounded via the circuit. The Shaft Grounding Strap is installed to provide an efficient connection between shafts and the bonding circuit. Your transom mounted Maddox anode is also connected to this circuit which enables it to sacrifice itself and protect the submerged metal parts.
Shaft Grounding Strap should only be installed by persons competent in fitting, maintenance or repair of marine vessels.
- Ensure all component parts are available.
- Find a location on the exposed stainless steel shaft which is free from any rotating parts or couplings and in close proximity to a suitable hull or other mounting location.
- Clean the shaft with a dry soft cloth to remove any residual material.
- Wrap the braided strap over the shaft in the same direction as the shaft rotation when in drive.
- Ensure the strap is not over tightened. Strap should have greater than 50% connection to the circumference of the shaft.
- Mark the hull through the holes in the hull mounting bracket.
- Drill and secure the hull mounting bracket. Use a flexible adhesive to help secure the screws.
- Apply petroleum jelly supplied to lubricate the shaft strap.
- Do not use lubricants containing cutting agents such as marine grease or oil.
- Attach spring provided in to one of the 11 available holes to allow slack tension to the strap.
- Once you have the desired tension, fasten the stainless steel zip tie (included) through the hole on the strap and any hole on arm bar. Do not pull the zip tie tight.
- Ensure connection to the greater Vessel Bonding System.
- It is recommend that the shaft Grounding Strap be tested for connection by a qualified Marine Electrician.
A visual inspection of the strap should be carried out regularly and lubricant re-applied during periods of frequent use and/or after bilge clean and mechanical maintenance.
Fitting or maintenance not in accordance with MPS recommendations will void any product warranty.
|Brand||Marine Protection Systems|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Boat Spares Australia Pty Ltd users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.